Music Store Free Paintings Portfolio

Monday, March 7, 2016

Three Terribly Popular Terrible Things



This painting is for the guy in the center but it was requested by his friend. When I read the first sentence of his request email asking for a portrait with Garfield, a Minion and the catchphrase from The Big Bang Theory, I thought, "Oh yeah. Those things are very popular and of course he'd want them all together." I mean, I've painted Garfield and Minions before and I watched an episode of The Big Bang Theory because there was so much buzz about it. Then I read the second sentence of his request email which stated, "These are the three things this man despises most in this world." And then I realized, "Oh yeah. Those things are not just very popular but also very terrible." Garfield: You only need to make one joke about Monday and we get it, not thousands. Minions: Merchandise with those little, yellow, irritating characters has taken over every aspect of American life in a very disturbing way. The Big Bang Theory: The reason I watched AN episode is because I couldn't get past the first. I feel weird writing these things because I know just how much people love them. I mean, my earlier Garfield painting was for a friend of mine who adores the comic. I'm impressed the soon-owner of this painting is able to assert his distaste for such well-loved things to the point where his friend decided he needs a painting surrounded by them. I'm pretty sure I would be friends with that guy in the center.

No comments: